Bite into salty, sweet, and crunchy pretzels. The chocolate covered pretzels give you the perfect balance between salty and sweet. People who have tried chocolate covered pretzels may be enticed to make this recipe. If you have yet to try this salty and sweet dessert, read the recipe and be on your way to preparing it to perfection!
Ingredients for making Pretzel
1 3/4 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
1 large whole egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Vegetable oil, for pan
1 packet of caramels
1 tbsp of water
1/2 packet of chocolate pieces (candy-coated)
1 1/2 cups peanuts (chopped)
1. Combine the warm water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top.
2. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Line 4 half sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
Place enough water into a large roasting pan to come 1/3 of the way up the sides of the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
6. In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 1-ounce portions, approximately 36 pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 14 to15-inch long stick and place on the sheet pans, 1/4-inch apart. Cover the dough not being used with a slightly damp towel to help prevent drying out.
7. Add water and caramels into a bowl and place it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir every minute.
8. Dip the pretzels halfway into the bowl of melted caramels.
9. Place 12 chocolate chips on the rods and roll them into chopped peanuts.
10. Allow to cool on wax paper before serving.