"Pongal is a classic pooja dish in south India. You can think of it as south Indian khichdi. When I was a child, I always waited for Temple prasadam and when it was pongal, I was delighted."
1. Take a cooker and heat two tbsp of oil in it.
2. Wash moong daal and the rice and keep it separately.
3. Roast cashew in the oil and keep aside.
4. Now, add mustard seeds and cummin seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add green chilli and fry for a few seconds.
6. Now, add the moong daal and fry for a minute.
7. Add water and the washed rice.
8. Also add coconut, salt and turmeric powder.
9. Close the cooker and allow it to whistle thrice.
10. After the cooker cools down, add the pepper powder, cashews and chopped cilantro leaves.