Carrot Kheer recipe, a tasty Indian dessert preparation with carrots, milk and almonds. For a rich flavored kheer, go with full fat milk though skimmed milk also serves the purpose. The addition of ground blanched almonds gives a nutty creamy texture to the kheer. Cardamom lends a fragrant, warming aroma to the simmering kheer and the garnished nuts add some crunch.
Red carrots - approx 400 gms, peeled and grated (approx 1 1/2 cups)
Milk - 3 1/4 cups
Water - 1/4 cup
Almonds - 10, soak in hot water for 15 mts and peel
Sugar - 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Pistachios or cashewnuts - 6-7
Saffron - few strands, soaked in a tbsp of warm milk (optional)
1. Heat ghee in a vessel, add grated carrots and saute on low medium flame for 7-8 mts. Add a cup of milk and simmer till the carrots absorb the milk. Turn off flame and cool.
2. Grind the cooled and cooked carrots, almonds and 1/4 cup water to a smooth paste.
3. Return this ground mixture to the same cooking vessel the carrots were cooked earlier. Add the remaining milk, mix well and simmer for 3-4 mts.
4. Add the sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk and simmer on low to medium flame till the sugar dissolves completely. If you want the kheer to be more liquidy, add more milk.
5. Turn off flame. Allow to cool down a bit and spoon into serving bowls or glasses. Alternately, you can chill the kheer before serving.